Monday, December 2, 2013

reading #7


This reading was by far my favorite of the semester and the most relevant to my own artistic vision. In the last year or so, my work has moved further from representation and more to abstraction. I want my work to focus more on the spiritual and emotional aspects of reality that I can’t put into words, so I make them into images. While I find my images rewarding for myself, it’s hard for people outside of the art world to appreciate them because of the problems Lyle Rexer mentions in, The Edge of Vision. People instinctively want to make something of what they see and know how and why it’s made. My goal is the complete opposite of that. My thesis work is a great example of this. I feel like once people know that the images are ink and food coloring they’re satisfied, but they end up completely missing the interaction I want them to have with the images. Abstraction asks the viewer to rely more on their emotional response to the work than purely analytical.

No comments:

Post a Comment